A few years ago Fresh N Funky teamed up with a London council to come up with some healthy menus using ‘superfood’ ingredients. Over the coming weeks we will be blogging some of these menus, especially those perfectÂ during autumn and winter. We start withÂ a delicious saladÂ dish.
Steamed Salmon Salad with Pumpkin, Carrot, Fig and Rocket
1. Steam your salmon fillets (or roast in oven if no steamer).
2. Cut your chunks of pumpkin and carrot into chunks, drizzle in olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and a small pinch of sugar; add a pinch of chilli flakes if desired. You can use sweet potato or butternut squash if you prefer.
3. Cut a fig into four and place in a mixing bowl with a healthy portion of rocket leaves. Add the pumpkin and carrot to the bowl once it is cooked.
4. Mix the contents of the bowl with a dressing made out of grain mustard (one part), white wine vinegar (two parts), olive oil (four-six parts) and salt and pepper. Make sure the food is nicely coated in the dressing.
5. Once the salmon is steamed or roasted, dust it with pumpkin seeds and drizzle it with a touch of honey.
6. Spoon the contents of the mixing bowl on to your plate; placeÂ the salmon on top and add a drizzle of your dressing if you have any left. Serve with a wedge of lemon and another sliced fig. Garnish with cress if desired.